Changing the Address on your Driver License
Your driver's license is an important legal document. So if your address changes, your license needs to change. Changing your address on your driver's license can be a hassle, but we've made it much easier by pooling all the information you need together in one place. Click "Get Started" below to begin.
Driver's license change of address in New York
How to change your address on your driver's license in New York
You must let the the New York Department of Motor Vehicles know within 10 days if you move.
The best way to let the DMV know is by filling out the form MV-232.
Change your address by Mail:
- Fill out Form MV-232.
- To order a new driver license, learner's permit, or ID card with your new address, check the appropriate box and include a fee of $17.50 for a driver license or learner's permit, $8 for an ID card, or $6.50 for a 10-year ID card. If you don't need new documents, leave this portion blank, and there is no charge.
Mail the form (and the fee, if required) to:
DMV License Production Bureau
P.O. Box 2895
Albany, NY 12220-0895
If you ordered new documents, they will arrive by mail in about four weeks.
How to Change Your Address by Phone:
- Contact a DMV call center.
- Have your photo ID ready so you can prove your ID to the DMV representative on the phone.
- Provide your new address information.
- If you wish to order replacement documents with the new address, have your credit card ready. The fees are a little different for phone transactions: $22.50 for a replacement driver license or learner's permit, $13 for an ID card, and $11.50 for a 10-year ID card.
- If you wish to order a new registration document, which you may do by phone but not by mail, the fee is $8.
- Your new documents, if ordered, will arrive in about four weeks.