Renewing your Driver License
If your driver's license is about to expire, you need to act now. Renewing your license before it's too late can save you a lot of time and money. Our staff has researched the driver's license renewal process for every state, so all the information you need is right here at your fingertips. Click "Get Started" below to begin.
Renew your driver's license in New York
How to renew your driver's license in New York
A New York driver's license can be renewed online, by mail or in person at any DMV office in the State.
When you should renew:
- Your New York driver's license will generally expire on your birthday. The expiration year depends on your age when the expiring license was issued or last renewed.
- It is advisable to renew your driver's license before the birthday on which it will expire. You can renew your license any time in the year leading up to its expiration.
To renew in person, make sure you bring the following:
- A completed renewal application form (MV-44).
- Renewal fee, payable by cash, check or credit card.
- Form MV-619 completed by an eye-care professional, or you will be required to take a vision test.
To renew online, you will need:
- Client ID Number and Document Number as stated on your current license.
- Date of birth, Social Security number and zip code.
- Form MV-619 completed by an eye care professional (Vision test).
- A valid e-mail address where you will receive confirmation of renewal.
- A Credit card (Visa, American Express, MasterCard or Discover) to make the payment.
To renew by mail, there are 2 mail renewal application forms
- MV-44, renewal application.
- MV-619 or proof of a vision test from another state.
- Copies of proof of identification.
- A money order or check for the renewal fee.
Mail all the documents to:
DMV License Production Bureau
P.O. Box 2688-ESP
Albany, NY 12220-0668.